Sunday, April 3, 2011

Another weekend comes and goes

The Web has frustrated me all weekend. I spent the last 2 days attempting to complete my Capstone presentation and doing research online. While I've not picked a difficult topic of interest, I do realise that I've picked one where assessing and locating information may not be as familiar or simple a process as I'm used to. The Internet is an incredible source of knowledge but when you fail to have the appropriate navigational tools or in my case I like to refer to it as 'driving directions', you end up going in circles and meeting roadblocks. So yes, the incredible source of knowledge then becomes inaccessible and basically useless to me without the appropriate directions. Random keywords whilst helpful in dragging up shopping sites, aimless information and fascinating videos on other occassions are certainly not advantageous this weekend.

My one saving grace this weekend though has been Wikipedia. While information on the page is not peer-reviewed and prime material for referencing university assignments, it has provided me a quick history catch-up on information I have long forgotten. It has also managed to minimise my random keyword searches to more specific terms and whilst I'm still 'driving' aimlessly, it feels a little bit more like my Navman is in the process of getting fixed and soon, very very soon, I will be able to navigate the Web for the information I need efficiently again.

Until my next post...

p.s. New frustration: Why can't I put spaces between my paragraphs????? This is my third and last try...if it doesn't work, then it's meant to be.

3 comments:

  1. Well, it looks like the paragraphing worked out, at least!

    Your comments on Wikipedia are interesting. As several other people have noted, it can be a really good place to start your research, especially as all the key points are (theoretically) meant to be referenced, so you can then go and check out the original sources of the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does paragraphing only work if you click on html mode?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that sounds likely - I think you've found the cause of the problem!

    ReplyDelete